How to keep giving during COVID lockdown
Updated: Jul 1
Hello from your Vicar Steve!
Hope you’re all surviving lockdown! This epidemic continues to affect us all in so many ways –
no doubt the longest-lasting consequences will be on the economies of businesses small and large - local and multinational, including the government’s finances…… and of churches!! Which is the main reason for this message, as having no church services – and no fundraising events – is going to take its toll on our church finances, as many income streams have dried up. These include plate offerings and white envelopes, shop income, coffee after church and Coffee and Chat – believe it or not, these give us at least £1200 a month – and that doesn’t take into account any fees income from weddings and funerals, or the £7000 surplus from our now-cancelled Summer Fair.
If you are a giver and you are used to putting white envelopes, yellow envelopes, cash, or cheques in the plate on a Sunday, please don’t put your giving on furlough – don’t stop giving! There are other ways to give, and we really count on your financial help to be able to rise to the financial challenges the lockdown presents us with. The other ways to give are as follows, and (the first two are the quickest and easiest as they can be done from your computer or smartphone without filling in forms or contacting your bank)
1. Join the Parish Giving Scheme - you can now do this by phone. For instructions, click on the dedicated news item "Join PGS by phone". Once you've joined, you will no longer have to remember to give by cash, cheque or White Envelope!!
2. Pay by BACS (bank transfer) to the church account (details are below - please read the note carefully) - especially easy if you manage your bank account online
3. Give via our donations page on the church website - (https://www.otterystmary.org.uk/donations) - you can choose to do this via PayPal, debit or credit card; and can select a one-off or monthly payment. (You won't need our church bank details below).
4. Give by text message, using your mobile phone (it IS possible – but this route is maybe more familiar to our younger members!) - instructions how to do this also via https://www.otterystmary.org.uk/donations
5. Set up a regular standing order from your bank account to the church account (details below)
If any of you, however you give, would like to give additional help with the bailout (let’s face it, we’re not going to get any money from the Government !) and would like to make a one-off donation, we would be very grateful.
Church Account details
(for cheques, standing order or direct debit forms):
PCC of Ottery St Mary, 09-01-29, 36273067
(for BACS/internet banking payments**):
The Parochial Church Council of the Ecclesiastical Parish of Ottery St. Mary, 09-01-29, 36273067
**For BACS/internet banking payments, PLEASE NOTE THAT, UNLESS YOU USE THE LONG NAME, YOUR BANK WEBSITE MAY GIVE BACK A MESSAGE THAT THIS ACCOUNT NAME DOESN'T MATCH THE ACCOUNT SORT CODE AND NUMBER. If this happens, you can either click on the nearby function to proceed with the payment anyway; or input the full account name, which is The Parochial Church Council of the Ecclesiastical Parish of Ottery St. Mary (but one bank doesn't give you enough space for this!!)