Updated: Oct 19, 2020
This epidemic continues to affect us all in so many ways – there are consequences for the finances of businesses small and large - local and multinational, including the government’s…… and of churches!! Which is the main reason for this message, as having almost no church services – and no fundraising events – has taken its toll on our church finances, as many income streams have all-but dried up. These include plate offerings and white envelopes, shop income, coffee after church and Coffee and Chat – believe it or not, these give us at least £1200 a month – and that doesn’t take into account about 6 months' worth of fees from weddings, or the surpluses from our cancelled fund-raising events like our 2020 Summer Fair.
If you are a giver and you are used to putting white envelopes, yellow envelopes, cash, or cheques in the plate on a Sunday, please don’t put your giving on furlough – don’t stop giving! There are other ways to give, and we really count on your financial help to be able to rise to the financial challenges presented to us by the COVID restrictions. The other ways to give are as follows: for some of them you don't even need to contact your bank!
1. Join the Parish Giving Scheme - you can now do this by phone. For instructions, see the paragraph below: "Join PGS by phone". Once you've joined, you will no longer have to remember to give by cash, cheque or White Envelope!!
2. Pay by BACS (bank transfer) to the church account (details are below - please read the note carefully) - especially easy if you manage your bank account online
3. Give via our donations page on the church website - (https://www.otterystmary.org.uk/donations) - you can choose to do this via PayPal, debit or credit card; and can select a one-off or monthly payment. (You won't need our church bank details below).
4. Give by text message, using your mobile phone (it IS possible – but this route is maybe more familiar to our younger members!) - instructions how to do this also via https://www.otterystmary.org.uk/donations
5. Set up a regular standing order from your bank account to the church account (details below)
6. Use your contactless debit or credit card on our in-church payment device - on the right next to the tall wooden brochure holder as you walk into church
If any of you, however you give, would like to give additional help and would like to make a one-off donation, we would be very grateful.
Church Account details
(for cheques, standing order or direct debit forms):
PCC of Ottery St Mary, 09-01-29, 36273067
(for BACS/internet banking payments**):
The Parochial Church Council of the Ecclesiastical Parish of Ottery St. Mary, 09-01-29, 36273067
**For BACS/internet banking payments, PLEASE NOTE THAT, UNLESS YOU USE THE LONG NAME, YOUR BANK WEBSITE MAY GIVE BACK A MESSAGE THAT THIS ACCOUNT NAME DOESN'T MATCH THE ACCOUNT SORT CODE AND NUMBER. If this happens, you can either click on the nearby function to proceed with the payment anyway; or input the full account name, which is The Parochial Church Council of the Ecclesiastical Parish of Ottery St. Mary (but one bank doesn't give you enough space for this!!)
JOIN PGS BY PHONE
The Parish Giving Scheme has launched a new phone service to simplify joining up.
It enables you to set up a regular Direct Debit** gift to our Church over the phone.
Please call the dedicated telephone number: 0333 002 1271
Lines are open Monday to Friday, between 9 – 5pm.
You will need to have your bank account details, church/parish name and PGS parish code to hand For the latter, please quote:
[Church] Ottery St Mary Parish Church
[PGS Parish Code]150615198
You will be able to Gift Aid your donation, if eligible, and you will also be given the option (your choice) to increase your giving annually, in line with inflation.
**Donations made through this scheme use a Direct Debit - in exactly the same way that most people pay (for example) their utility bills. The PGS direct debit can be made on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis.
For further details about the scheme, please visit https://www.parishgivingscheme.org.uk/